Discover the Top Jiu-Jitsu Schools in California
Are you looking for the best places to learn jiu-jitsu in California? California is a great place to learn jiu-jitsu with many options for those looking to master this martial art. With so many choices it can be hard to decide which school is right for you. That’s why we have compiled this list of expert reviews and tips on the top jiu-jitsu schools in California. We have done extensive research on all the top schools and have come up with our list of the absolute best ones. All of these schools offer excellent instruction, high-quality facilities, and a welcoming environment. We believe that any of these schools will be a great choice if you are looking to learn jiu-jitsu in California.
1) Filling our number one spot is: Ares Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy in Modesto, CA is a martial arts academy that offers a unique blend of martial arts and self-defense. The school has been around since 2012 and offers a range of classes from beginner to advanced. At Ares, you can learn the ancient techniques of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and discover the magic of martial arts. At Ares Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy, you'll learn all the basic techniques that are essential for self-defense. You'll start by learning how to break falls and then move on to more complex moves such as throws, holds, locks, chokes, and submissions. You'll learn how to defend yourself against punches and kicks as well as how to use weapons such as sticks or knives. The program also teaches you how to use leverage, timing, and strategy with your opponent in order to take control of an altercation or situation. Once you've mastered the basics at Ares Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy you can move on to more advanced classes where you will learn more complicated techniques such as sweeps and takedowns. You will also be taught how to effectively transition between positions while grappling with another person in order to gain an advantageous position over your opponent. Additionally, sparring classes are available for those who want a real-world application for their skillset by testing it against opponents in a safe environment supervised by experienced instructors
Professor Samir Chantre is a 3rd degree Black Belt, 3 x World Champion, and a passionate instructor. He started BJJ when he was just 9 years old and received his black belt under Professor Alan Moraes, Carlson Gracie Team at the age of 20. Professor Samir moved to Northern California in 2009 to pursue his dream of becoming a World Champion and having his own academy. Professor Samir Chantre teaches full-time at Ares BJJ Academy in Modesto, CA.
The instructors at Ares Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy have years of experience teaching the art of self-defense in both traditional Martial Arts styles as well as modern Mixed Martial Arts styles such as MMA (Mixed Martial Arts). They have devoted their lives to perfecting their craft which is evident from their professional demeanor when teaching the class. They’re passionate about teaching students not only the physical aspects but also the philosophical concepts behind each technique they teach which helps students develop into well-rounded martial artists. At Ares Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy they don’t just teach students technique; they strive for excellence in every aspect of each student's experience at their school – whether it be learning a new technique or improving existing ones – ensuring that each student walks away with a deeper understanding for both themselves and the art itself. Through dedication to discipline and hard work, anyone can unlock their inner strength at this amazing academy!
2) Gracie Barra Chino Hills – Located just outside Los Angeles, Gracie Barra Chino Hills is one of the premier jiu-jitsu academies in all of California. The mission of Gracie Barra Chino Jiu-Jitsu is to improve the lives of the people in the inland empire area including Chino, Chino Hills, Eastvale, Diamond Bar, Pomona, and surrounding communities in California through the value-centered martial art of Gracie Barra Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and the Jiu-Jitsu healthy lifestyle. It offers classes for adults as well as children and has been featured in various magazines such as Black Belt Magazine and Jiu-Jitsu Magazine. This school is known for its commitment to excellence, both on the mats and off them, making it ideal for those who want to take their martial arts training seriously. The instructors are highly experienced black belts who strive to help their students reach their full potential as martial artists.
3)10th Planet Jiu Jitsu – 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu is one of the most famous academies when it comes to learning jiu-jitsu in California. It was founded by Eddie Bravo, Eddie Bravo, a 3rd-degree black belt under the legendary Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu master Jean Jacques Machado, who started training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in May 1994. He won the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Abu Dhabi North American Trials lightweight division on October 5, 2002, in San Diego, California — earning the “Most Technical Fighter of the Night” award. He then advanced to the 2003 Abu Dhabi Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Championships in San Paulo, Brazil, where he secured a submission win over legendary Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu fighter Royler Gracie.
The Abu Dhabi Combat Championship is the most prestigious Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu no-gi tournament in the world. A historic Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu rematch took place 11 years later in Downtown LA Los Angeles between Royler Gracie and Eddie Bravo, resulting in arguably the greatest rematch in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu history with the epic match ending in a technical draw. a world-famous black belt who developed his own style of No-Gi Submission Grappling specifically for Mixed Martial Arts. and combat Jiu Jitsu which focuses heavily on ground fighting techniques without the use of a gi or kimono uniform typically seen in traditional Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ). 10th Planet has grown into an international brand that has locations all over the world including multiple locations throughout California such as San Diego, Los Angeles, and Santa Cruz among others. It also offers classes for all different levels from beginner through advanced so no matter what your experience level is there will surely be something here that suits your needs!
3) Atos Jiu-Jitsu – Atos Jiu-Jitsu Academy is another one of our favorite places to go when learning Jiu-Jitsu in California! Located near San Diego this academy was founded by Andre Galvao who was an 8x World Champion competitor himself! He decided he wanted to create a place where students could come not only improve their skills but also develop themselves mentally and physically while having fun at the same time! Atos emphasizes hard work but still knows how important it is to relax when necessary so they make sure everyone feels comfortable while learning here no matter what skill level they are at!
4) Alliance San Diego – Alliance San Diego is another top Jiu-Jitsu academy located in California that offers classes taught by some of the highest-ranked instructors around! This gym focuses heavily on competition preparation so if you are looking to get ready to compete then this should definitely be one of your stops! The atmosphere at Alliance Sandiego is always friendly and welcoming with plenty of help from instructors willing to answer any questions may have about techniques or strategies used during tournament competitions!
5) Gracie Barra – Northridge This is another great place to train! Romulo Barral is a 10x world champion, including 5 black belt world championships in the medium-heavy division, a 2013 ADCC champion, and a NO GI world champion. has created a niche gym that frequents some of the best in the sport. Every week you have people like Edwin Najmi, Gabriel Arges, and Fabricio Werdumor Beneil Dariush as training partners. Romulo is a world-class instructor and once you experience his teaching style you will see why high-level black belts seek him out for expert training.
6) Meraki Jiu-Jitsu – Santa MonicaUFC veteran, Kenny Florian partnered up with Jason Hunt to create this beautiful gym on the west side of Los Angeles. Meraki is a Greek word that means to put your soul into your work, leaving a piece of you and doing so with passion. The instruction here is top-notch. Kenny is an excellent teacher, Jason Hunt is a double black belt in BJJ, and Judo and Isaac Doederlein are multiple-time champions of the sport. It is a well-rounded and super clean gym that offers great mat space, and great aesthetics the vibe is great and everyone is welcoming. A white gi is mandatory, so come prepared. Jiu-Jitsu Muay Thai Kickboxing classes are perfect for anyone wanting to get into shape while learning valuable self-defense skills Their instructors are very experienced some even former professional fighters offering a unique insight into art combat sports With modern-day facilities clean environment. Elite MMA provides the perfect setting to become a better martial artist whatever your goals may be.
7) Cobrinha BJJ - Corbinha has won 6 world championship titles and has placed in the top three for all ten world champion events that he has competed in. new, top-of-the-line facility, they have world-renowned instructors personalize every class to children as young as four years old. You will find world-class training partners such as including Kennedy Maciel and Isaac Doederlein.
8) Checkmat HQ – Long Beach If you are looking for a highly competitive environment, look no further than Checkmat HQ, which is headed by multiple-time world champion Leo Vieira. It is not uncommon to find world champions including, Marcus “Buchecha” Almeida, Luiz Panza, Lucas Leite, Panti Fontes, and Michelle Nicolini training there. You will get high-quality training from high-quality instructors here and even if you are not a competitor they have classes for beginners and intermediate-level people as well.
9 ) Jean Jacques Machado – Woodland Hills Jean Jacques Machado is the prince of Jiu-Jitsu. He is the nephew of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu co-founder Carlos Gracie, and he is also a highly decorated world champion and an all-around great person. His knowledge, understanding, and teaching of Jiu-Jitsu are second to none, and many regard Jean Jacques Machado as one of the best instructors of Jiu-Jitsu in the entire world. They moved to this new and larger location in Woodland Hills to accommodate the many students that flock to see Jean Jacques teach.
10 ) Paragon BJJ & MMA – Paragon BJJ & MMA is based out of Orange County one largest and most respected academies state With over 15 years of experience teaching martial arts they know exactly how to bring the best out of each student. While primarily focusing on the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu art also teaches other disciplines such as Boxing, Muay Thai, and Mixed Martial Arts to anyone wanting to try various things at the same place. Whether interested in competing professionally or getting fit Paragon has something FOR everyone.